Instruction: For each question, select the words(s)/phrase(s) that appropriately fill(s) in the gap(s).
01. Life, as the film demonstrates, is too complex for _______ endings.
A) superficial B) intricate C) straightforward
D) occult E) None of these
02. In the days of the last owner, the stately home was run on a ________ scale; no guest left without remarking on the quality and ________ of food and drink.
A) lavish … profusion B) ornate … paucity
C) modest … plenty D) opulent … dearth
E) None of these
03. When he was young he________ ideas of becoming a doctor, however, he was________ by his father who wanted him to join the family business.
A) harbored … backed B) entertained …dissuaded
C) produced … critical D) repudiated … deterred E) None of these
04. For several days she had a feeling of tiredness and general ________ and feared that these vague symptoms might________ the onset of something more serious.
A) pain … indicate B) malaise … portend
C) weakness … tender D) senility … reflect E) None of these
05. Waste management is a________ problem for the modern city, a problem that is never likely to be addressed unless we change our________ attitude to recycling.
A) growing … flexible B) minor … positive
C) trivial … ambivalent D) perennial … lax E) None of these
Questions 6 to 10: Word meaning
Instruction: Select the word that best matches the definition provided.
06. A person who performs the art of making statues using clay =
A) Mediator B) Arbitrator C) Sculptor
D)Miniature E) None of these
07. Incapable of being seen through =
A) Ductile B) Opaque C) Obsolete
D) Potable E) None of these
08. Having superior or intellectual interests and tastes =
A) Elite B) Highbrow C) Sophisticated
D) Fastidious E) None of these
09. The part of the government which is concerned with making of rules =
A) Court B) Legislature C) Tribunal
D) Bar E) None of these
10. The piece of string in the centre of a candle =
A) Yoke B) Wick C) Vane
D) Tenor E) None of these
Questions 11 to 15 : Identification of the odd one from a list of words
Instruction: For each question, find the odd word from each list.
11. A) Recalcitrant B) Stubborn C) Obstinate
D) Pliable E) Intractable
12. A) Hasten B) Accelerate C) Rush
D) Expedite E) Impede
13. A) Friendless B) Solitary C) Lonely
D) Introverted E) Verbose
14. A) August B) Dignified C) Venerable
D) Esteemed E) Corpulent
15. A) Intimidate B) Formalize C) Frighten
D) Terrify E) Threaten